I’m not one for making new year’s resolutions but with social media awash with resolutions and bucket lists I thought this year I would think of 18 things I would really like to do in 2018, I’ve seen it mentioned in a few posts, @glasgowmummy is a great example so thanks to the creative genius, Gretchen Rubin behind the idea. Some will take an hour to do, others months, some are for fun, some serious, some I’ll do alone, some with others. Here’s my list and I hope to provide updates randomly throughout the year of my progress.
- Learn to kayak. We live at the sea and I’m always envious of those kayaking in the bay, now Little Man has been a few times its time for me to learn how to do it so I can go out with him on the water too.
- Bake a soufflé. I’ve never made one and fancy a cookery challenge.
- Read some amazing books. I’m not looking to read a set number, but just books which are brilliant and allow me to lose myself in the story.
- Train well and run a half marathon. I’m planning an October half marathon so I can train seriously in the Spring and summer. I’ve done half marathons before but its 5 years since my last and I want to do one in my 40s.
- Wear a pair of pretty heeled shoes. Depending on the season and activity, I will be wearing one of these, Converse pumps in a variety of colours, boots, flip flops or running shoes. Stepping out of my comfort zone here!
- Have a cruelty free make up bag. Since learning the devastating news that my favourite brands are no longer cruelty free because as they now test on animals to allow their products to be sold in China, my make up will become cruelty free this year.
- Plan a trip to London for the children. They’ve seen so many images of London that its now time to take them and show them the sights. We’ll do the tube, red buses, see Big Ben etc..
- Go the theatre. I miss seeing the big shows and musicals so this year I will go and see a show and be wowed by live theatre again.
- Meet up with old friends. There’s a group of old work colleagues whom I haven’t seen for years and in every Christmas card we vow to meet up, so I’m finally going to organise it and do it.
- Play rounders or another summer sport. Rounders, tennis I love them but never play, that will change in 2018.
- Look after my feet. I walk a lot and am always on my feet but never treat them as I should, this year its foot massages, peppermint cream and filing away the hard skin (TMI!)
- Go to a roller disco. This is so random, but I really fancy going to a roller disco so on to the list it goes!
- Invest in a warm, winter coat.
- Make something simple on my sewing machine. I use my machine but want to do something on it that I’ve never tried before, a skirt?
- Be more creative with the photos on my blog. Its difficult when you write anonymously there’s no people to brighten up my blog, so I’ll try some more interesting still life shots.
- Swing on the high ropes. Again this is something the children want to do and secretly me too.
- Do one scary but exhilarating thing. I have no idea what yet…
- Have a holiday inspired nail art manicure. I look at Pinterest and see so many nice holiday nails. Before our holidays this year I’m going to have something a little bit different done!
Wish me luck on something that I hope will inspire me, invigorate me, develop new skills and will help bring the sparkles to 2018.