At the end of last year I listened to a podcast from Gretchen Rubin on #18for 2018. The idea was to list 18 things to do during the year which would make you happy, some big, some small, I created and posted my 18 as below, and now time for a review….
- Learn to kayak oh this was a brilliant experience and made me so happy. ACHIEVED
- Bake a Souffle, one of my early accomplishments, ACHIEVED
- Read some amazing books. According to my Good Reads account, i read 46 books last year, 11 of which I gave 5 stars, ACHIEVED
- Train well and run a half marathon, mmm my foot injury put paid to this but instead of running, I have power walked many miles this year. Once I have an operation on my foot it will be a target again. TO BE CONTINUED..
- Wear a pair of pretty high heeled shoes. Linked to the above, this was the moment when I realised I had a serious problem with my foot. I was trying on a pair of beautiful emerald green, kitten heels and when finally I got my foot in it, I cried with pain and nearly passed out. I now can only wear Converse pumps in comfort but have a rainbow of colours. TO BE CONTINUED
- Have a cruelty free make up bag, I discovered some great new brands this year and no longer use companies who claim to be cruelty free but sell their products in China. ACHIEVED
- Plan a trip to London, I’m disappointed not to have achieved this, there was a lot going on this year, its on my list for 2019 ON THE LIST of #19for2019
- Go to the theatre, I’ve been to see 5 different shows this year, the highlight was Wicked. ACHIEVED
- Meet up woth old friends, whilst we did go to a party in the summer to meet up with old friends, they were Mr S old school friends. There’s a group of former colleagues I would love to see so its another TO BE CONTINUED
- Play summer sports, well with our summer I was able to play rounders, tennis and cricket in the park for fun, all throughly enjoyable in the hot weather. ACHIEVED
- Look after my feet, at the start of the year I thought this meant pedicures and painted nails. The reality was doctors appointments, consultants and treatment, this is continuing but I’m counting this as ACHIEVED
- Go to a roller disco, one of my more random choices but so much fun, it was much trickier than I remembered! ACHIEVED
- Invest in a warm, winter coat, this has made me unbelievably happy. ACHIEVED
- Make something on my sewing machine FAILED MISERABLY
- Be more creative with the photos on my blog. I researched photos on my blog and have played with new collages, but with my blog setup and iPhone I’m not sure I can develop this more. ATTEMPTED
- Swing on High Ropes, this was a lot scarier than expected even when I was all starped in, but I did it and gave it a go. ACHIEVED
- Do one scary and exhilarating thing. This is not a wow moment but despite not being keen on needles, I signed up as a blood donor and have given blood regularly this year, an exhilarating and scary experience! ACHIEVED
- Have a holiday inspired manicure, we all went World cup mad and I had England inspired nails for the semi final. ACHIEVED
So that was 10 out of my 18 fully achieved, others in progress and only one failed miserably. I loved this little project, it definitely gave me happiness and new opportunities to embrace. Thank you Gretchin.